The day before you move:
- If you are packing yourself, make sure you have enough boxes, packing and tape for the day.
- Defrost your freezer and empty the fridge and freezer of all contents.
- Make sure you have picked up any dry cleaning and dropped off any videos, books or other borrowed items.
- Make sure your solicitor or conveyancer has the right telephone contact details to let you know when you have completed on the property.
On the moving day:
When your removal men come round, talk through the day over a cup of tea and let them have:
- A map of where the new property is.
- Information about where they can go for lunch.
- A plan of the house so they know what boxes/furniture goes where.
- Information about what they need to leave behind for you to take.
You also need to:
- Collect, label and leave any keys out for the new owner.
- Only let the new owner have the keys once your legal company has confirmed that they can be released. Alternatively, leave the keys with your estate agent and let them handle this.
- If you are not having the meters read, then contact the utility companies about these and leave a copy of the readings for the new owners.
- Either arrange for someone else to do the cleaning or organise cleaning for the property you are leaving and the one you are moving into.
- Secure all doors and windows.
- Leave a forwarding address or even sticky labels, just in case you've forgotten to forward something.
The Property Ombudsman
43-55 Milford Street